Cilantro-Jalapeño Latkes with Chipotle Sour Cream
- 6 tablespoons light sour cream
- 1 tablespoon chopped chipotle chile, canned in adobo sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon grated lime rind
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 6 cups shredded peeled baking potato (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 cup grated fresh onion
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped seeded jalapeño pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
Combine first 4 ingredients in a small bowl, stirring well. Cover and chill until ready to serve.
Combine potato and onion in a colander. Drain 30 minutes, pressing occasionally with the back of a spoon until barely moist. Combine potato mixture, flour, and next 5 ingredients (through salt) in a large bowl; toss well.
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 tablespoons oil to pan; swirl to coat. Spoon 1/4 cup potato mixture loosely into a dry measuring cup. Pour mixture into pan; flatten slightly. Repeat the procedure 5 times to form 6 latkes. Sauté 3 1/2 minutes on each side or until golden brown and thoroughly cooked. Remove latkes from pan; keep warm. Repeat procedure with remaining 2 tablespoons oil and potato mixture to yield 12 latkes total. Serve with sour cream mixture.
Straight off the page of Cooking Light: A New Way to Cook Light. Tasty & healthy dishes which keep pleasing us and all our guests!