We have had the pleasure of entertaining family since Friday. Sometimes it is nice to slow down and worry about who won at dominoes and not running errands or posting the fabulous food you are eating. It has been refreshing. Just as much as this sweet and icy little ditty we made: Basil Plum Granita. Not overly sweet, refreshing touch of bail and a hint of wine flavor.
This cool treat is a Summer must and it could even serve as a palate cleanser in a multi-course meal. Which rings through how light and fabulous it is.
BASIL PLUM GRANITA
- 1 cup water
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 5 whole allspice
- 1 1/2 pounds black plums, quartered and pitted
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3/4 cup basil leaves
1. Place first 6 ingredients in a large saucepan over medium-high heat; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 15 minutes or until plums begin to fall apart, stirring occasionally. Place pan in a large ice-filled bowl; cool completely, stirring occasionally. Discard allspice.
2. Place the plum mixture, lime juice, and basil in a blender; process until well blended. Press the plum mixture through a fine sieve over a bowl, and discard solids. Pour the mixture into an 8-inch square glass or ceramic baking dish. Cover and freeze until partially frozen (about 2 hours). Scrape with a fork, crushing any lumps. Freeze for 3 hours, scraping with a fork every hour, or until completely frozen.
This lovely dish rings in a just over 200 calories – another reason to feel fabulous while eating it. Another new realm from our Cook the Book Project – Cooking Light a New Way to Cook Light. Plums & Basil are an AWESOME combo – I feel BBQ sauce featuring both in my grilling future <3.
Basil is magic,